I get asked about smoothies all the time, so I want to share with you my top 3 go-to smoothies, and when I tend to use each of them!
Amanda’s Top 3 Go-To Smoothies!
Basic Green Smoothie
This smoothie is a great way to start the day! I start most days with a green smoothie, unless I swap it out for a green juice (or the off-day I really switch things up!) Some days, I may also choose to have it as a snack between lunch and dinner.
It’s super tasty and the fruit gives it a sweet zing. It keeps me full and energized all day long- no coffee needed. AND I get 2-3 veggie servings in right away in the morning without even trying! IE. PACKED with nutritional and health benefits!
This smoothie was a huge factor behind my energy levels sky-rocketing at the start of my health journey.
I’ve seen many people used to adding protein powder to a morning smoothie, but I like to stick with a lighter veggie and fruit based (still plenty of amino acids in those greens!) for breaking the fast, and then have a heavier one, more focused on protein later in the day.
This is loosely based on Kim Snyder’s glowing green smoothie, but basically I try almost anything in here- as evidenced by all the options- just shooting for 70% veggies (making sure to include green leafies) and 30% favorite fruit. But even 50/50 is a great start!
- 1-2 cups water (can use coconut water, if preferred.)
- 1 head organic romaine lettuce, chopped (Sometimes I add broccoli stalks that need used up from a recipe, if I’m low on romaine)
- 2 stalks organic celery or ½ washed organic cucumber, skin on for nutrients
- 1/2 head of spinach or kale or collards (rotate weekly)
- 1 organic apple, cored and chopped and/or 1 organic pear, cored and chopped
- 1 banana OR berries (lower sugar) OR pineapple OR mango, pick your fave!
- Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon, sometimes a bit more – don’t forget as it neutralizes the grass taste
- Optional: handful organic parsley
- If adventurous, try some Moringa!
This recipe will make 2-3 servings, based on a serving size around 16-24 ounces.
Oatmeal Protein Power Smoothie
I sometimes have this one as a meal replacement for lunch (larger portion) or as a snack between lunch and dinner (smaller portion), especially if I’m on the road and know I am going to need something filling to tide me over. See the 2 different versions below.
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk or water, or a 50/50 combination
- ¼ cup hemp protein powder
- 1-2 Tbs. chia seeds
- 3-4 Dates or Liquid stevia to sweeten or tablespoon raw honey or a banana
- ½ c Oats
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Optional- spoonful almond butter
- Optional- tablespoon of cacao powder
- Optional- blueberries or any favorite berry
- ** For the options, go with either the almond butter OR the berries- the first feels like a chocolate and PB smoothie, while the latter, blueberry oatmeal smoothie. Experiment!
*Note that if you are using a branded protein powder blend, rather than isolated hemp or pea or rice protein, they usually have already added stevia and flavoring, so some of the above may not be necessary. I personally like to control the ratios and use pure hemp powder, this also keeps from unwanted ingredients sneaking in but many people find blends easy for on the go! Just make sure you check it out.
Berry “Cheesecake” Treat
Hellllooooo, anti-oxidants! I love this smoothie as a treat when I want something sweet, as it reminds me of a shake- really almost tastes like a berry cheesecake milkshake. Also, when I’m feeling like I need a break from either of the above, I’ll sub this one in!
- 1-2 cups water or almond milk or a 50/50 blend
- handful ice cubes
- 1.5 cups Organic Berries (Rasp/Straw/Blue or a blend- fresh or frozen both fine)
- 2/3 cup or more Raw Cashews
- 2 TB Chia Seeds
- ¼ cup Watermelon OR Gogi Berries
- 1 Medium Lemon
Be sure to get a high-quality organic cashew. Cashews, like peanuts, are a nut that are easily subject to having higher quantities of mold levels. It’s not one I have every day, but I will still enjoy it when I do. The Raspberry version is my favorite!
Voila! There are 3 smoothies that I make all the flippin’ time! Remember, recipes are just invitations and inspirations… feel free to experiment with what works for you and make it your own!
For more great recipes and holistic health tips, join us in Power Eating for Entrepreneurs!